The Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus) is a member of the true owl family, and is native to the Arctic regions of North American and Eurasia. It is a big, almost all white owl, and sits at the top of many birders’ wish list, not just in America and Canada but for birders from all over the world. It is one of the few birds that will get even non-birders to go outside in the cold and have a look – it is that special!
Next departure dates: 21 to 23 February 2020
Duration: 3 Days
Spaces available: Yes
Snowy Owl really are fascinating creatures! For instance:
• The Snowy Owl is the avian symbol of Quebec and French-Canadians;
• Unlike most owls, Snowy Owls are diurnal, and almost exclusively so;
• A single Snowy Owl can eat more than 1,600 lemmings in a single year;
• Snowy Owls are North America’s heaviest owl, typically weighing about 4 to 6 pounds;
• They often hang out at airports, sitting on poles looking around for food;
• Fans of the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling will remember that the character Hedwig was a female Snowy Owl;
• The feet of Snowy Owls are completely covered in feathers, helping with insulation but looking a bit like fluffy slippers!
One of the best places to spot this powerful and regal bird is the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge in Essex county in Massachusetts. Not only will we see the enigmatic Snowy Owl, we will also see many other species of birds, including Common Eider, White-winged Scoter, Long-tailed Duck, Purple Sandpiper, Rough-legged Buzzard, Northern Shrike and many others. We will also see some beautiful habitats (great photo opportunities) and many even some mammals. This birding trip to the famous Parker River National Wildlife Refuge can be arranged for any Friday to Sunday between November and March.
|Day 1 (Friday)||Boston to Parker River National Wildlife Refuge|
|Day 2 (Saturday)||Parker River National Wildlife Refuge|
|Day 3 (Sunday)||Parker River National Wildlife Refuge to Boston|
All our tours can be customised according to your specific requirements. Get in touch with one of our team members for more information at email@example.com
You might also be interested in: